Personal Injury Assessments for Law Clerks
Wed, June 7, 2017
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM ET
Registration limited to OTLA members
This program is eligible for up to 1.25 Substantive Hours.
Join us for 75 minutes with Jan Marin, Gluckstein Personal Injury Lawyers and Dr. Chantal Vaidyanath for our Personal Injury Assessments for Law Clerks webinar.
Topics to be covered:
- An overview of the various assessments used in the PI world.
- How is a Plaintiff requested report different from a Defence Medical or IE.
- Expert v. Treating- When to hire an Expert and when to use your treating doctor.
- Determining if every file needs an Expert.
- What should be included in your letter to the treating physicians/expert doctor (ie. A summary of the accident/injuries). Is too much information spoon feeding the doctor?
- How to organize your medical brief.
- When to call an expert about their report.
- When is it appropriate to speak the treating physician about their opinion?
- Should IE and Expert reports be sent to treating physicians for comment?
- What happens if your treating doctor does not agree with your experts?
- Should your experts comment on surveillance?
Jan is an associate at Gluckstein Personal Injury Lawyers in Toronto, Ontario. She was admitted to the Law Society of Upper Canada in 2010. She received an Honours B.A. in International Studies in 2005 and obtained her Law Degree from the University of Western Ontario in 2009. After graduation, Jan articled with Oatley Vigmond LLP in Barrie.
Jan’s practice is devoted to all types of personal injury litigation on behalf of plaintiffs, including motor vehicle accident cases, accident benefits claims, occupiers liability actions, product liability and medical malpractice.
Jan is a former co-chair of the New Lawyers Division of OTLA. She currently writes for the OTLA update, and volunteers with Pro-Bono Law Ontario’s Education Advocacy Project and Medico Legal Services Toronto’s Health Law Advocacy Project. She is also a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Advocates Society and the Toronto Lawyers Association.
Dr. Chantal Vaidyanath, MD, FRCPC, FABPMR, CSCN Dip. (EMG)
Dr. Vaidyanath obtained her MD from the University of Western Ontario in 2001 and completed a residency program in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Queen’s University in 2006. She earned her Canadian certification in Electromyography (EMG) in 2006.
Dr. Vaidyanath has an interest in acquired brain injury rehabilitation, including the diagnosis and treatment of individuals with concussion/mild traumatic brain injury. Dr. Vaidyanath sees patients with acquired brain injuries ranging from mild to severe at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute (both at the University Centre and the E.W. Bickle Centre) and at the Head Injury Clinic at St. Michael’s Hospital. She also has a musculoskeletal and sports concussion practice at Synergy Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Dr. Vaidyanath is the Chair of the Canadian Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Traumatic Brain Injury Special Interest Group and a collaborator on Concussions Ontario, the provincial concussion/mild traumatic brain injury strategy.
All fees subject to HST #R129967998
You will be receiving a separate email with login instructions. We would suggest that you save the login instructions in your calendar. Reminder messages will be sent prior to the webinar.
If you have registered and find that you are unable to attend the live webinar, we will provide you with a link to watch the webinar recording.